Aims and objectives:
The aims of the Sociology of Health Thematic Group are to:
- support social and sociological research on health and medical issues
- encourage and facilitate contact among academics and others researching in the field
- encourage submission of papers to TASA conferences and Health Sociology Review
- provide an avenue for researchers to have draft papers informally reviewed by members
- encourage postgraduate interest in the field of the sociology of health
The Health Section of TASA was first established in 1967. It was known as the Medical Sociology Section, at a time when the national association was known as SAANZ (the Sociological Association of Australia and New Zealand). It was the first specialty section formed.